Submitted by the
It is now clear that the threat of mosquito-borne illness is present throughout Massachusetts.
It is important that all residents protect themselves by doing the following:
1) Apply insect repellent when outdoors containing one of the following: DEET, Permethrin, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus. Do not use DEET on infants.
2) Consider rescheduling outdoor activities that occur during evening hours or early morning, peak mosquito hours.
3) Wear long sleeves, long pants and socks when outdoors.
4) Drain standing water around your home and install or repair screens.
5) Protect your animals by keeping horses in indoor stalls at night and speak to your veterinarian about mosquito repellents for pets.
More information can be found on the Arborvirus Surveillance Information web page at: www.mass.gov/dph/wnv or by calling the Department of Public Health Epidemiology Program at 617-983-6800.