Brownie Troop Makes Special Request of Grafton Residents
Take a moment to read the third grade girls' letter.
Dear Fellow Grafton Citizens:
We are Grafton Brownie Troop 30221. We are in the third grade and have been on the Girl Scout Journey: “Wonders of Water.” On this Journey we have learned all about water and wanted to sharewhat we have learned with you.
We learned we should not waste water and we should do the following things to save water.
- Turn off the water faucet when brushing our teeth (by doing this we save two to three gallons of water per minute which can equal 20-30 gallons of water per person per week!)
- Take shorter showers (limiting our showers to five minutes can save about 3,365 gallons perperson per year!)
- Don’t pollute – pollution runs into our water bodies and then hurts animals. Did you know that one reason the Bald Eagle was almost extinct is because polluted water caused the fish to get sick, the Bald Eagle ate the fish getting the pollution into their bodies which caused their eggs to be too weak for their babies?
- Have our cars fixed at a professional shop rather than fixing them ourselves in the driveway. When you change your oil in your driveway, the run off can get into our bodies of water.
- Clean up our dog’s poop rather than leaving it in our yard – there is a lot of bacteria in dog poop.
- Use less salt on the roads.
- Use less chemicals in the farm fields.
- Don’t leave water running or dripping – this saves water so that it stays in the water body whichsupports our wildlife.
- Use a reusable water bottle you can refill rather than buying bottles of water.
Mrs. Susan Thomas came to our meeting on March 3 and demonstrated how all these things we learned on our journey affect our watershed. Did you know that our watershed is called the Blackstone River Watershed and runs all through Worcester County and into Rhode Island?
Mrs. Thomas explained what a watershed is and how it is important to Grafton. She also explained water bodies, the watercycle, what a point source is (big things everyone notices and pollutes water). Mrs. Thomas had a really cool model that we pretended was our town and she used the model to show us how pollution gets into our water from factories, neighborhoods, construction zones, farms, golf courses, and roads. Thank you Mrs. Thomas for spending time with us.
We ask that you please help us to save water and not pollute. We know together we can Make The World A Better Place. Thank you for taking the time to read our letter.
Grafton third grade Brownie Troop 30221